Raymond K. Tu, M.D., FACR
Dr. Tu is chair of the American College of Radiology (ACR) Medicaid Network. He is the 2012-2013 Chapter President of the District of Columbia Metropolitan Radiological Society, a chapter of the ACR. As a member of the Federation of State Medical Boards and the State Board of Medicine, Dr. Tu maintains three core values: public protection and accountability, leadership and service, and excellence.
Dr. Tu has written numerous scientific articles, presented in national and international medical meetings and review courses in radiology, medical malpractice, practice improvement and quality measures. He hosted a television talk show, "Wellness" and appeared on the American College of Radiology television and radio public service announcements. Dr. Tu was recently interviewed by Andrea Roane on the WUSA-9 health segment. Dr. Tu is past chapter president of the Chinese American Medical Society. He has served on many prestigious Boards of Directors that include a hospital, the Corcoran Gallery of Art, a Latin-American eldercare center, the Board of Medicine, and the Whitman-Walker Clinic. Dr. Tu is a recent recipient of the Governor's Award for Leadership Excellence and Service and the American Medical Association Physician Recognition Award with Commendation. Dr. Tu is on the District of Columbia Metropolitan Radiological Society executive committee.
Dr. Tu is a member of the CMS Carrier Advisory Committee for Jurisdiction 12, which includes the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware and Northern Virginia. As the radiology representative he reviews and is involved in the review, update and introduction of new CPT codes for medical procedures as proposed by Highmark, our Medicare contractor.
Dr. Tu served as a physician member of the DC Board of Medicine where he gained first hand insight to the regulatory process of medicine in the District. He is on the Health Information Exchange Board of the District of Columbia Government.
Dr. Tu is Chairman of Radiology at United Medical Center (UMC)/Not-For-Profit Hospital Corporation (NFPHC) in Washington, DC and Clinical Associate Professor of Radiology at The George Washington University.
- Tu RK, Unger JM. Vascular rings, diagnosis by magnetic resonance. AJR 1991;156:111.
- Tu RK, Peters ME, Gourley GR, Hong R. Esophageal histoplasmosis in a child with immunodeficiency and hyper-IgM. AJR 1991;157:381-382.
- Tu RK, Scanlan RA. Radiological manifestations of Hinman syndrome in a child. AJR 1992:158-161.
- Tu RK, Fagerholm MI, Warner FCS. Varix of the ileum. AJR 1992;158:917-918.
- Tu RK, Starshak R, Browne B. Diagnosis of gastric rupture following blunt abdominal trauma in a child. Ped Radiol 1992;22:146-147.
- Schuster M, Tu RK, Scanlan KA. Caecal herniation through the foramen of Winslow. Br J Radiol 1992;65:1047-1048.
- Tu RK, Turski PA, Mistretta C. Gd-HP03A-enhanced phase contrast angiography. Nippon Acta Radiol 1992;52:S178.
- Tu RK, Scanlan KA. Psychogenic urinary retention in a child, a reply. AJR 1992;159:677-678.
- Stallard D, Tu RK, Gould MJ, Pozniak M, Petterson J. Minor vasculature of the abdomen and pelvis: a CT atlas. Radiographics 1994;14:493-513.
- Tu RK, Kennel T, Turski PA, Mistretta CA, Pozlin J, Corsec F. Preliminary assessment of gadodiamide-enhanced, complex difference phase contrast magnetic resonance angiography. Acta Radiol 1994;1:S49-55.
- Tu RK, Lee FT, McKinnon S. Vascular anomalies of the inferior vena cava and related structures. Radiographics 1994.
- Britz GW, Rostomily R, Tu RK, Winn HR. Postoperative blindness caused by compression of the optic nerve by an aneurysm clip: a report of two cases. J Neurosurg 1995.
- Fitzgibbon D, Glosen B, Wright R, Tu RK, Ready LB. Paraplegia, epidural anesthesia and thoracic aneurysectomy. Anes 1995;83:1355-1359.
- Tu RK, Eskridge JM, Grady MS. Endovascular treatment of a kitchen knife pseudoaneurysm of the cervical internal carotid artery. AJR 1996;166:704.
- Tu RK, Cohen WA. Digital subtraction rotational angiography: neuroradiological applications; initial clinical experience. Medicamundi 1995.
- Wilson MA, Bianco JA, Tu RK, Zager LV. Radiation Detection. In Wilson MA (ed), Textbook of Nuclear Medicine. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1998;415-436.
- Grossman RI, Rubin DL, Hunter G, Haughton VM, Lee D, Sze G, Kuhn MJ, Maravilla K, Tu R, Heindel W, Wippold FJ 2nd, Leeds N, Zelch J, Jinkins JR, Grodd W, Truwit C, Kanal E, Provenzale JM, Ramsey R, Simon J, Brunberg JA, Stevens GR, Kristy RM. Magnetic resonance imaging in patients with central nervous system pathology: a comparison of OptiMARK (Gd-DTPA-BMEA) and Magnevist (Gd-DTPA). Invest Radiol. 2000 Jul;35(7):412-9.
- Tu R, Charafeddine R, Williams T, Rothenberg S. Transformation from film-screen to MicroDigital digital mammography: selection challenges, opportunity and value. Applied Radiology 2012;12:56-60.
- Quadri R, Rekhi SS, Zeman RK, Blumberg A, Tu RK. The Maryland Self-Referral Law of 1993: Cornerstone Law Shaping Federal and State Advocacy. Historical Summary from Inception to Recent Challenges. JACR 2014;771-776.
- Hirsch JA, Leslie-Mazwi TM, Nicola GN, Barr RM, Bello JA, Donovan WD, Tu RK, Alson M, Manchikanti L. Current procedural terminology; a primer. J Neurointerventional Surg 2014;0:1-4.
- Donovan WD, Leslie-Mazwi TM, Silva E, Woo HH, Nicola GN, Barr RM, Bello JA, Tu R, Hirsch JA. Diagnostic carotid and cerebral angiography: a historical summary of the evolving changes in coding and reimbursement in a complex procedure family. J Neurointervent Sur 2014;0:1-6.
- Ben-David E, Tu R. Genetics of Parkinson Disease. AJNR 2014;10.3174/ajnr.A4092.
- Tu RK, Granger J, Finelli F, Kori GA, Zeman, R, Walton M. Analysis of Radiology Malpractice Claims and Payments 2002-2007: The Measure of Risk Depends on the Ruler. Scientific Poster, 96th Annual Meeting, Federation of State Medical Boards, San Antonio, Texas, May 1-3, 2008.
- Tu RK, Kori GA, Zeman RK, Granger J. Analysis of Radiology Malpractice Claims Data of Medical Conditions and Outcomes 2002-2007. RSNA 2008, Chicago, Illinois.
- Kori GA, Brenner C, Tu RK, Zeman RK, Akin E, Kambhampati S. Radiology Malpractice: An Illustrated Presentation of the Problem and Possible Solutions to Reduce Malpractice Risk. ARRS 2009, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Kori GA, Brenner C, RK Tu, Jones RK, Tanna N. The Retroantral Fat Pad: Important Landmark for Accurate Staging of Disease Extension Beyond the Maxillary Sinus and Infratemporal Fossa. ARRS 2009, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Danaie S, Nicholas KC, Domanski M, Tu RK. Abstract ID: 1905.Self-reported reliance of primary care residents on radiology reports as resident’s progress through training. AUR 2010, San Diego, California.
- Danaie S, Nicholas KC, Domanski M, Tu RK. Abstract ID 1800. Resident familiarity with the politics of medical imaging and its perceived over-utilization. ARRS 2010, San Diego, California.
- Kaur H, Katzen J, Parghi C, Tu RK, Jones RV. Imaging the pharyngeal mucosal space: the aeordigestive front line. ARRS 2010, San Diego, California.
- Parghi C, Tu RK, Akin E, Daluvoy DV. Abstract 2390. Nomenclature of mediastinal, pleural and diaphragmatic disease: standardization of reporting: what the video assisted thoracic surgeon wants to know. ARRS 2010, San Diego, California.
- Parghi C, Tu RK, Akin E, Daluvoy DV. Video-assisted thorascopic surgery (VATS). What the radiologist needs to know. ARRS 2010, San Diego, California.
- Parghi C, Kaur H, Gordenker J, Tu R. Clivus, an osseous marker of the brain: a photo essay depicting the spectrum of lesions. ASNR 2010 Boston, Massachusetts.
- Parghi C, Kaur G, Gordenker J, Tu R. Frontal sinus and ZMC complex fractures; what the reconstructive surgeon wants to know. ASNR 2010 Boston, California.
- Amin SK, Danaie S, Domanski M, Tu RK. Resident physician perceptions of healthcare reform. A survey of primary care and radiology residents in training. Annual Meeting American College of Radiology Annual Meeting and Chapter Leadership Conference 2011. Washington, DC.
- Amin SK, Akin EA, Losse J, Tu RK. Review of MR Patient Safety Issues: The Not So Obvious Questions Beyond the Aneurysm Clip at Low-Field, 1.5T and 3T. Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America 2011, Chicago, Illinois.
- Ionita JA, Akin EA, Tu RK. Spinal canal morphometry: what really is stenosis? Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America 2011, Chicago, and Illinois.
- Gore GB, Tu R, Akin EA. Busy neuroradioogical intersections: anatomic review, imaging landmarks and keys to diagnosis. Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America 2011, Chicago Illinois.
- Gore GB, Tu R, Akin EA. Phases of Hemorrhage on MRI. Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America 2011, Chicago, Illinois.
- Gore GB, Tu R, Akin EA. Bumps in the brain. Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America 2011, Chicago, and Illinois.
- Tu R. Low dose technologies. Diagnostic Imaging Live Conference 2011.
- Rekhi S, Tu R. The Maryland Self Referral Law of 1993: Cornerstone Law Shaping Federal and State Advocacy. Historical Summary from Inception to Recent Challenges. Annual Meeting of the American Roentgen Ray Society 2012. Vancouver, Canada.
- Interview. WUSA-Channel 9. Buddy Check 9: Is MicroDose the Next Generation of Mammography? Accessed August 3, 2012.
- Interview. AuntMinie.com. MicroDose play helps Philips enter U.S.digital mammo market. http://www.auntminnie.com/index.aspx?sec=sup&sub=wom&pag=dis&ItemID=100227. Accessed August 10, 2012.
- Interview. Podcast: Implementing a Low Dose mammography Solution. Diagnostic Imaging. http://view.email.cmpmedica-usa.com/?j=fe571671736c027a7112&m=fed015717767017e&ls=fdfb1072716500797c157173&l=fec915777761057b&s=fe241c727461037a7c1771&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe3516777166067d761171&r=0. Accessed August 24, 2012.
- Rothenberg SA, Quayum S, Tu RK, Taheri. The Radiologic Footprint of Cough: Review of the 4 Phase Pathway. Anatomic, Radiologic and Physiologic Review. Annual Meeting of American Society of Head and Neck Radiology 2012. Miami Beach, Florida.
- Tu R, Woodson C. Bringing direct secure messaging (Direct) to the DC Community. District of Columbia Health Information Exchange, Webinar, District of Columbia Department of Healthcare Finance, December 7, 2012.
- Hai N, Tu RK , Choi B, Soloman R The Radiologist’s Guide to the MRI Compatible Pacemaker. Annual Meeting of the American Roentgen Ray Society 2013, Washington, DC.
- Rothenberg S, Hai N, Tu R, Analysis of the benefit to risk ratio of radiation induced breast cancer from annual screening. Annual Meeting of the American Roentgen Ray Society 2013, Washington, DC.
- Tu RK, Low Dose Mammography with Photon Counting, St. Luke's University Health Network Radiology Education Committee, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. November 10, 2012.
- Tu RK, Hai N, Rothenberg S, Charafeddine R, Williams T. MicroDose digital mammography: lowest dose innovation in breast cancer screening. Technology review and implications to a screening population. Cancer Imaging and Radiation Therapy Symposium. American Society of Therapeutic and Radiation Oncology 2013. Orlando, Florida.
- Tu R. Medicaid Update. 2013 Annual Meeting and Chapter Leadership Conference. Washington, DC. April 30, 2013.
- Donovan WD, Nicola GN, Bello JA, Hirsch JA, Tu RK, Morrow MJ, Diagnostic carotid angiography CPT codes have been revised, and you will be reimbursed less: why, how, and how much? Annual Meeting of the American Society of Neuroradiology 2013, San Diego, California.
- Interview. WYCP 1340 AM. Think On These Things, Health…Wellness…Politics. 9/26/2014.
- Rupe ES, Rothenberg S, Shulka A, Tu R, Smirniotopoulos J. Intracerebral hemorrhage on MRI: a teaching tool to facilitate accurate Staging. Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America 2013, Chicago Illinois.
- Duggan P, Shukla A,Mehta A, Jurgus RA, Tu RK. Compartmental Anatomy of the Paraspinal SoftTissues: What the Radiologist Needs to Know. Annual Meeting American Society of Spine Radiology 2014, Miami, Florida.
- Tu R. ICD-10. Doctor’s Day Keynote Lecture. United Medical Center, Washington, DC. April 24, 2014.
- Tu R. Medicaid Update. 2014 Annual Meeting and Chapter Leadership Conference. Washington, DC. April 29, 2014.
- Tu R, Radiology Billing and Coding Update: ICD-10, CPT and RUC. Invited Presentation to Maryland Radiological Society, Annapolis, MD. May 17, 2014.
- Shukla AA, Duggan PF, Tu RK, Donovan W, Bello JA, Bhala R. Guide to Common Procedural Terminology: the basics. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Neuroradiology 2014, Montreal, Canada.
- Shukla, AA, Rupe E, Rothenbert S, Tu RK, Smirniotolpulos J. Novel approach to learn MR imaging appearance of intracranial hemorrhage. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Neuroradiology 2014, Montreal, Canada.
- Tu R. CPT Update. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Neuroradiology 2014, Montreal, Canada
- Tu R. Political Advocacy for the Neuroradiologist. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Neuroradiology 2014, Montreal, Canada
Georgetown University, Physiology/Biophysics